Smile-friendly meal ideas
While brushing and flossing your teeth twice daily offers the best prevention against tooth decay and gum problems, choosing healthy foods can also help protect your smile. Vitamins and minerals like calcium, vitamin C and vitamin D are important to overall and oral health. Here are a few easy meal ideas that contain good sources of these and other nutrients:
- Omelet: Eggs are an excellent source of the vitamin D your body needs to absorb calcium, which is essential to maintaining strong teeth. Combine eggs with cheese and vitamin-rich vegetables like spinach and mushrooms to make a filling breakfast that promotes a healthy smile.
- Grilled cheese sandwich: Cheese contains phosphate, protein and calcium that naturally strengthen teeth. Cheese also helps balance the pH level in your mouth to reduce harmful acid and increase cleansing saliva. Heat your choice of cheese between slices of whole-wheat bread for a lunch packed with calcium, protein and fiber.
- Peanut butter apple sandwich: Change up your peanut butter sandwich by using apple slices in place of bread. In addition to containing vitamin C, apples help clean teeth by scrubbing away plaque and other food debris from teeth. The acidity in an apple also helps fight the bacteria that encourages bad breath. Peanut butter contains protein and fiber to promote healthy gums—just be sure to select a natural peanut butter without added sugar.
- Fruit smoothie: Replace sugary popsicles and ice cream with a healthy smoothie. Mix frozen or fresh strawberries, ice and calcium-rich Greek yogurt in a blender for a protein and vitamin C packed treat that promotes healthy teeth and gums.
- Grilled chicken salad: Leafy greens such as kale and spinach are high in calcium, which builds tooth enamel. Top a plate of these healthy greens with chicken, which is rich in phosphorus. Calcium and phosphorus help remineralize teeth to maintain tooth enamel.
Choose easy, quick meals like these to keep your smile healthy!